Types of Expanded Metal
There are 3 main types of expanded metal that provide unique benefits and aesthetics for your project.
- Standard Expanded Metal (SXM): Standard expanded metal, or raised metal, is a finished product that comes from the press after having been die cut and expanded. The strands and bonds form a sharp angle to the original plane of the solid sheet.
- Flattened Expanded Metal (FXM): Flattened expanded metal is a standard expanded metal product which has been cold rolled leaving a flat, smooth surface. This kind of expanded metal is also about 5% lighter than standard expanded metal.
- Expanded Metal Grating: Expanded Metal Grating is a heavy duty expanded metal produced from carbon steel sheet and plate. Expanded metal grating contains no joints or welds, as each sheet is a single piece of sturdy steel.
What Are the Benefits of Expanded Metal?
Expanded metal mesh is a lightweight, versatile material that offers a higher strength-to-weight ratio than sheet metal. The process of expanding the metal from its solid sheet form actually strengthens the material. Because the mesh is formed from a single piece of metal, it is amenable to further processing, such as shearing or pressing.
The expansion process results in the formation of “knuckles” that make expanded metal products ideally suited for anti-slip surfaces. The attractive diamond pattern also makes expanded metal perfect for architectural/design purposes.
Expanded Metal Uses & Applications
Expanded metal’s strength, versatility and other beneficial properties enable it to be used for a wide range of industrial and manufacturing applications, including:
- Architectural & security fencing
- Window, door & skylight guards
- Air intake screens
- Interior partitions & barriers
- Cab/truck dividers
- Concrete reinforcement
- Security mesh
- Drive & sidewalk gates
- Light diffusers
- Machine guards
- Patio furniture
Marco Can Provide the Right Expanded Metal Products for Your Applications
As one of the top expanded metal suppliers in the U.S., Marco Specialty Steel can offer a wide variety of high-quality 304 and 316 stainless steel expanded metal products featuring numerous thicknesses, open areas, patterns and design options. Other expanded metal product offerings include carbon steel, galvanized metal, aluminum, metal grating and architectural. We’re constantly looking to add to our large inventory to meet the evolving needs of our customers.
We also have a stocked inventory of expanded metal accessories to make the most of your purchase.
Expanded Metal Custom Fabrication Services Are Also Available
If you can’t find the right expanded metal product in our stock inventory, it’s not a problem! Our 35,000-square-foot Houston, TX facility includes an in-house fabrication department where we can create the customized product that meets your requirements. Our expert staff consists of sales personnel, architects, engineers, designers and other metal professionals who will work hard to bring your custom design to life.
Who Is Marco Specialty Steel?
Marco Specialty Steel is a fully equipped steel service center that has been providing customer-focused solutions for companies throughout the metals industry since 1992. The combination of superior products, extra effort, care and close attention to detail is what separates us from our competitors. Perhaps that’s why so many companies turn to us for all their metal and steel product needs.