Applications for the Oil and Gas Industry
Within the oil and gas industry, safety is a critical factor. From catwalks and stairways on oil rigs to walkways and crossover platforms at on-shore properties, it’s vital that your crew and facilities remain safe. At Marco Specialty Steel, our prime location in Texas lets us provide immediate, 24/7 service and fast turnarounds. Below are some of the things we custom fabricate with our products:
Industrial walkways – Industrial safety flooring – Trench covers – Pedestrian walkways – ADA walking surfaces – Platforms – Mezzanines – Stair treads
– Caged ladders – Catwalks – Crossover platforms – Elevated platforms – Pipe bridges – FRP grating, handrails and structurals
Rail car applications – Vehicle surfaces – Vehicle bridges – Trench covers
Catalyst support grids – Vessel internals – Elephant stools – Catalyst baskets – Vortex breakers – Mesh support screens
Security fencing – Machine guards – Railings
Industrial shelving – Mezzanines
As a Houston, Texas, company with quick access to the Gulf of Mexico and land-based rigs in the West Texas area, we maintain an unparalleled stock of products, from fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) grating to bar grating, that meet the demands of the oil and gas industry. Available specialty steel and FRP products include stair treads and ladder rungs, expanded metal walkway grating and others:
- Bar grating: If you need a load-bearing paneled surface you can count on, choose bar grating. It’s used often in warehouses, plants, onshore and offshore rigs and other manufacturing facilities. We offer welded, aluminum, riveted, heavy-duty and press-locked bar grating. We even stock bar grating stair treads that are easy to install.
- Expanded metal: This type of metal is lightweight, strong and ideal for oil and gas applications. We stock standard expanded, flattened expanded and expanded metal grating which is heavy duty and, can be turned to make catwalk grating when an anti-slip walking surface is necessary. Expanded metal is used for security fencing, walking paths, small platforms among many others, all take advantage of its versatility.
- Wire mesh: Refinery grade wire mesh is special made mesh that provides a larger, more exact opening and is tough and durable. We stock both welded and woven refinery mesh. This mesh is widely used in the petrochemical industry to make mist eliminators, catalyst baskets, mesh support screens, and more. Our expert fabrication department can create many items for your vessel internals, call us to find out more.
- FRP grating and structural shapes: Fiberglass grating is easy to clean and maintain along with the fact that it’s lightweight. While we offer molded FRP and pultruded FRP, our phenolic FRP is Coast Guard-approved. Phenolic grating is especially useful in high temperature areas, or where fire is a possibility. FRP is an excellent material for the oil and gas industry because it’s UV- and corrosion-resistant. It’s also fire-retardant, will not rust, low-maintenance and electrically and thermally non-conductive. This makes stair treads and structural shapes made of FRP very useful.
- Perforated metal: Perforated cylinders, cone strainers and vessel internal strainers are all made with perforated metal. Marco Specialty Steel has round-hole patterns, slotted, square-hole patterns, decorative patterns and, used most for o&g, custom-punched metal. We are fabrication experts so we can custom punch to your exact measurements, creating the exact open area you need.
- Safety grating: For unbeatable reliability and safety in any oil and gas facility, you should choose Marco Specialty Steel’s safety grating products. We offer diamond grip, round hole safety grating, traction grip and Grate-Lock safety gratings. These grating products come in planks, walkways, stair treads. Traction-Tread also is available in flooring sheets and ladder rungs. We custom fabricate grating products to suit any specifications you give us.
- Hex metal: Hex and flex metal is a rouged material that is flexible and makes a good refractory lining.
- Wedge Wire: Primarily used for filtration as wedge wire screens. These screens are manufactured on support rods by resistance welding.
At our in-house fabrication shop, which covers 35,000 square feet, we offer custom cutting of all our products.
Materials Available for the Oil and Gas Industry
For the harshest conditions, we use the best materials:
- Stainless steel: A range of applications, from crossover platforms to pipe bridges, use corrosion-resistant stainless steel. We carry more than 10 grades, including 304 stainless steel and 904L stainless steel, which provides a moderate to high corrosion resistance.
- Galvanized steel: For offshore rigs, the corrosion-resistance of galvanized steel is ideal for products and their varied applications. To deliver the best corrosion protection, we carry the A653 grade: a hot-dipped galvanized steel with low carbon content.
- Aluminum: Moderate strength and corrosion resistance. Aluminum 6061 is ideally used for marine components in offshore oil drilling and tank fittings.
- Nickel alloys: Used in the oil and gas industry due to its ability to provide long term resistance to corrosion, heat, and wear on components used in oil and gas production settings. Monel Alloy 400 is resistant to sea water corrosion, making it ideal for offshore oil rigs.
- Carbon steel: Corrosion resistant, carbon steel is able to withstand strong demands on metallic materials which are pat of the drilling, processing, and transportation of products in the oil and gas industry.
The Trusted Steel Supplier for Houston, TX, and Beyond
At Marco Specialty Steel, we understand the quick paced, high demand, and sometimes large investments that are associated with the o&g business. We have a rush, 24 hour service for turn-arounds or other fast jobs. With more than 25 years of experience, we also understand what your on-shore or off-shore facility needs to deliver safety to your team, which is why we carry a large stock of materials. In turn, we can provide fast turnaround times.